This course is hands-on. Each participant gets their own set of patterns and materials (included in the price) and will leave with a variety of products they have created themselves.
The course will cover:
- Basic seam techniques
- Handle formation and attachment
- Use of the over locker
- Construction methods and techniques
- Fastenings and closures
- Using recycled materials and patchwork techniques
- Health & Safety
We start with some demonstrations and experiments using sewing techniques before moving onto practical bag construction. All patterns and materials are provided but participants are welcome to bring their own additional fabric. Participants will be able to create their own products to take away.
Pick your workshop focus from one of the following:
- Little Bear applique bag (intermediate and junior technology)
- Easy drawstring back-pack ( intermediate and junior technology)
- Lined shopper bag (intermediate, junior or senior technology)
- Lined messenger bag (senior technology)
- Bag made from recycled billboard skin (senior technology)
The second part is tailored to meet the needs of attendees. It can focus on the development of further practical skills and different techniques. There is also an opportunity for group discussion about sustainability issues, unpacking a standard, scaffolding learning, writing specifications with students, assessment and moderation issues, assessment against the indicators of progression or specific NCEA standards or whatever focus the group decides they would like to have.
Curriculum Links: Technology, Sustainability, Literacy, Numeracy.
Cost $1000+GST (Includes set of bag patterns and materials for each participant)
Cost is per workshop based on a maximum attendance of 10 people and 1 day single delivery within the Auckland Super City region.
Split workshops ( e.g. 2 half days, weekends etc.) and workshops outside this region and larger numbers subject to negotiation to accommodate travel and increased use of consumables.